Thursday 15 March 2012

A social quandary

Hi guys, if you have been following my tweets you probably already know that I very much enjoy the TV show New Girl (C4 and C4+1... and 4OD). I may very well blog in detail the reasons why at some stage soon. However, suffice to say for now that if New Girl was a beverage then it would be hot chocolate in a Christmas mug and Zooey Deschanel is a legged, winsome mermaid whose cookie words are a psiren call to me.

Tomorrow evening I am diaried to go out for a fancy meal with my work bosses. A real posh affair. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the waiters take your coat when seating you, that sort of style. But the meal starts with canapes at 7. It means the meal is in direct conflict with New Girl. Whereas I much more need it in alignment.

So, you see my problem, clear as the many blue eyes on Zooey.

How should I excuse myself?

I am thinking either:

A: Be honest from the start.
Chances are your bosses will all be New Girl fans and understand. Someone might even give you a lift home.

B: Be really honest.
Chances are you will have eaten at least half your main by the time you need to go. Simply explain that you feel the conversation has now ceased to be of interest around the table and you will miss more of life through missing New Girl than staying here a minute more. Thank your bosses for what was, until this point, a charming evening and leave without looking back at them.

C: Be deceitful.
Set your phone alarm to ring in good time to catch New Girl on the TV. Act as if a phone call is happening. On “answering” the “call” look concerned and say: “I understand, Commissioner” at least 4 times. Explain to your bosses that there has been a breakout at the local prison for the criminally insane and you need to contact your friend,  Super New Girl Man to alert him and go with him in order to document him saving the city. As you rise from your seat, begin to loosen your tie. Look stern and steely eyed. Do horse like gallop-jumps out the restaurant.

D: All of the above.

If any of my Revelairs Society or Twitter followers want to vote or give me advice, feel free.

Follow my tweets tomorrow night to see what I decided!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post meal round-up for those who missed the exciting live Twitter happening!
Well, I did consider option B...
Especially at the point of the conversation where one of my bosses spoke to me: "I took the boat out round the coast on Saturday. Did a bit fishing off the stern, that sort of thing, you know. What did you do on Saturday?" To which I replied: "I watched Gillette Soccer Saturday. It's basically a scrolling computer graphic on TV that tells you the football scores... erm, well..."

But the evening turned out to be very enjoyable and I ended up breaking the glass on Option E: To stay until the end of the meal and ensure that you tune into T4 and watch New Girl then. It is only for one week. You can put up with T4 for one week.

And I did watch it on T4 - And I did it for you, Zooey.


No comments:

Post a Comment