Thursday 8 March 2012

If life could be a dream... I'd be naked getting chased off a clown all the time

80's Dreamboat, apparently
A follower from my Twitter account asked that I blog about one of my recent dreams.

Dreams, in general, are short on explanation, detail and ultimately, only meaningful to the dreamer and his therapist. Mine are no different.

In this dream I am walking along the pavement next to a US city park. It is around lunchtime and it is a glorious summer’s day but curiously no one else is around. It is very curious. Getting near to the end of the park I look to my left and see next to some large rhododendrons, a time travelling Triceratops.

Although never a fan of the Triceratops I realise that I may never again get the chance to study a live Triceratops, so I approach it. The first thing I study is how passive aggressive it is. Fixing me with a languid stare, it starts to charge at me. I begin to run from it and quickly climb a tree in the park. The second thing I study is that Triceratops’ are good tree climbers.

I mean, who knew? This fact certainly wasn’t in those dinosaur picture edutainment books from the 70’s, when we were crazy mad for the dinosaurs. Those were the coolest books in the classroom bookzone, weren't they? Pictures of giant roaring dinosaurs, with shooting meteors scorching the sky above them. One of the very few times you could make sound effects when reading and be forgiven for doing it, you'll find with experience. Anyway, back to the dream:

Since my mind had no point of reference for a Triceratops climbing a tree, it filled in the blanks by having it's climb depicted in my dream in the third person using the paper silhouette puppet theatre technique of the Chinese.

As I climb I reflect on how much other supposition we have made when it comes to dinosaurs. There must be loads. By me witnessing this dinosaur widely believed to be strictly a ground dweller climbing after me I am fundamentally changing what we thought we ever knew about these once impenetrable creatures. Maybe that's why it has travelled in time, to put right what was once wrong. A Triceratops Dr. Sam Beckett.

I am out at the top branches of the tree. The Triceratops, though lumbering stiffly, attached to a couple of sticks in the cutaway silhouette scene, is going to reach me soon and I figure, will fix me again with its glowing red eyes and then inevitably eat me (yet another fact consigned to the big Jurassic book of incorrect theories thanks to all this). There is nowhere left for me to go. I begin to panic. Will I survive the fall if I jump?

But don’t worry! It is fine, I did survive! Because, you see, I woke up and it turned out it was all just a dream. A dream that meant 1986 never existed at all.

Many thanks to my follower Space_Librarian for suggesting this blog. As I move into my 2nd century of blogs, I may very well continue to document my dreams as and when they recur nightly to me, here in my little corner of the blogosphere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 more blogs to go until blog 100! The hype is growing! [here’s hoping I don’t have 4 more dreams about dinosaurs debunking the agreed conventions amongst dinosaur experts any time soon, eh?]

No comments:

Post a Comment