Sunday 6 June 2010

Open Letter: Issue 37


Dear Booler,
Although not a subscriber to your quarterly organ, I am an avid reader whenever I can scrabble upon an issue. Usually I flick through your breezy collection of local lawn bowling stories never believing I would see any reason to write in.

Now, this may be the wine talking, but I have been inclined to write this evening having read your latest issue, no. 37, because I have detected a worrying lapse in your editorial quality control.

On page 19 there is a delightful article about Agnes. I enjoyed it very much. Agnes is 97 years old and you suggest that she may be the oldest bowler in Scotland and further ask if any reader knows of anyone older?

Well, yes I do. Very recently, actually, I found out about an older bowler.

Because back on page 9 is Lily Kelly. And the piece about Lily, a well known bowler in her club, is all about her reaching 100 years old. There is a picture of her cutting her cake as some sort of proof. I'd like to think that the hired disco is playing songs by Kelis.

Considering the item about Agnes was basically just all about her being likely the oldest bowler in Scotland, it must have come as a blow to her when she got a hold of a copy of your journal to find out not only is Agnes not the oldest bowler in Scotland, she is also not the oldest bowler in your magazine. Sorry Agnes.

What kind of madness is this?

I also find your vendetta against John Grant distasteful.



I wonder if issue 38 will now continue with a co-ordinated sleaze campaign against John, should he not lie himself prone upon your booler moral alter. Will there be kiss and tell scandal stories surrounding John giving free raffle tickets to the younger grandmother bowlers? And will these younger grandmother bowlers be pictured draped across things?

I do hope that this is not the tone the publication will take.

Yours in sport and free magazines,
G. Tombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment