Wednesday 21 July 2010

It's like catching the train that you didn't want to take EEEOOOO!

There are some times when only the day before I would not have believed I would have written a sentence I am about to. And this is one of those times.

I saw the Jesus of coat hangers at lunch time today.

3000 welded coat hangers into the image of Christ and stuck to a ply crucifix. As the wise hair-full crone from the woods, Alanis, once sang probably, “Isn’t it Ironic, don’t you think? When you’ve got 3000 coat hangers and all you need is a nail. EEEOOOO EEEEEEOOO!”

You know what is ironic, Alanis Mmoorriissettee, that your brand of yodelling woman encouraging pop rock directed at girls to take control of their own lives, be empowered and be spunky in relationships was actually the future for a while, I even bought into it, such as it had permeated into our lives and radios. We were all Gilmour Girls together. And now look at it. Now we are here. Teenage girls all just want to be WAGS when they grow up. WAGS or paid with McDonalds Big Macs for services rendered.

Anyway…

I went over, stood next to the artist just after the unveiling and took a couple of pictures on my phone camera of the 9ft tall sculpture and it made me think. It made me think, you know what I want to do as soon as I get back to work? Make pipe cleaner dinosaurs.

That would be ace!

I could have a whole menagerie of pipe cleaner dinosaurs all on my desk by the end of the day.

But would my manager let me spend a mere 4 hours doing that – no she wouldn’t.

And possibly best not to be sat, hands busy manipulating pipe cleaners into dinosaurs under my desk… I can just imagine the discussion I would be having at Human Resources with my line manager soon thereafter: “Honest, I was simply making a pipe cleaner stegosaurus. I was being surreptitious! No, I don’t find stegosauruses particularly sexy. Certainly no more than a diplodocus. Of course I’ve thought about the girl in accounts, what’s that got to do with it?”

Sometimes I get the feeling that my job adversely constricts my artistic endeavours.

1 comment:

  1. And you know what my question is now?
    Did Jesus have a willy? I can't see from the pic...

    ReplyDelete