Friday 30 April 2010

The Greenhouse effect in action

In conversation the other night I was reminded when I was once convinced by an Apple Performa 475 published poster at school to go along to the Lunchtime Greenhouse Club. It sounded OK: some relaxing gardening before the 2nd part of the school day, what was not to like? These days it would be very ZEN you know.

Well I don’t mind telling you, it turned out to be full of geeks and losers. And when I say full, I mean there were 5 of them – 2 geeks and 3 losers. What made it worse was I couldn’t believe I had been tricked yet again into going to another school club which basically was for less socially enabled sorts. The Lunchtime Computer RPG Club and now this - in fact I was starting to think all school lunchtime activity clubs were like this.

It was apparent that those in the Greenhouse Club were there to get away from the tougher elements of the playground. The thing was, it being the Greenhouse Club and all, it was very obvious where they were and easy for those who wanted mock them to simply do so at will through any one of the clear glass walls while standing around, some sporadically fisting Quavers into their mouths and others drinking from straws in squeezed 5alive cartons. We were not in enlightened times and the school had not thought it all through. It was like Greenhouse Club was really just a basic viewing booth to look at 2 geeks, 3 losers and 1 King of the Geek Losers contained within it alongside some shrubs and a couple of cacti.

Over the week I went to the Greenhouse Club [well, you have to give these things a chance] I learned a lesson that no conventional class, I suspect, could teach: that repotting plants and taking cuttings is not so serene when the scene outside the greenhouse at times resembles Dawn of the Dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment