Sunday 14 February 2010

CSI New York v Quincy M.E.

My crazed and obsessive watching of CSI: NEW YORK has not been as healthy a hobby as you might think.

On Saturday morning I was cheered to see a Quincy M.E. double bill coming onto the screen. Quincy came across what looked like a simple vigilante gang murder that should have been just allowed to be brushed under the carpet by local sheriff, but Quincy decided to use the “fascinating world of forensic medicine” to prove just who was the killer and bring them to justice.

And it was pitiful. I watched as Quincy and Sam just used a piece of yellow crime string to trace the trajectory of the bullet. They didn’t use a laser pen once! Back at the lab, they didn’t even build up a 3D image of the bullet shard that they could walk around and manipulate with an electric glove to confirm the gun barrel it was fired from. They just used their eyes to look for gun powder on a sleeve of a denim jacket. And when the killer turned out to be one of the gang members who had been a main character throughout and not some character only briefly on screen at the beginning of the episode I realised that Quincy and I would never be the same again.

Then the next episode was the worst episode I have seen yet. Quincy gave some very bad news to cancer patients and we all learned the dangers of genetic engineering. As Quincy pointed out, “Sam – do you know what I do when I see an organic pathogen I don’t recognise? I panic!”

Actually, that sweet talking Quincy might just have bought himself some more time!

1 comment: